Date:
Sun, 16 May 2010 01:16:35 GMT
>>Hi, I'm installing my first two hives and wish things weren't dragging so
long.

There is no wishing to it.  Just do it.

>>Five days in, and one coat of paint to go. Shame on me.

Negligence is one of the primary root causes of package failure.  I feel sorry for those bees.

>>But I need to reconsider the strength of the sugar spray I'm using to pacify
and feed with until I get them re-boxed.

Why do you think you need to pacify a package?  Feeding is a must, of course.

>>My spray is probably too weak at 2 cups per gallon...
At that rate your bees are very hungry.  Hungry bees will likely break cluster.  This may be why you feel you need to 'pacify' them.

>>...but I saw one reference saying don't make the spray too thick.

Make it at least 1:1 and gently brush on the mesh until they stop taking it.  And hive those bees already!

Waldemar