From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:54:04 -0600
 > I have searched the archives for this list and nowhere have I found a clear,
 > definitive statement on whether it is possible to heat honey to a high enough
 > temperature that it would be "pasteurised" — and still be suitable for human
 > consumption, and if so, not be so badly damaged that it would be unsalable in
 > the marketplace.

A quick search at http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/BEE-L/ for 'pasteur AND
temperature' with substring search checked gives 23 hits.  Several provide the
info you seek plus more.

FWIW, AFAIK, the pasteurisation time/temperature table is the same for honey as
other foods, such as milk and is easily achievable without extreme heat or
severe damage.

However, AFAIK, pasteurisation does not eliminate spores, and this may be what
you are thinking about.  I don't think this aspect has been discussed at all.

allen

-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more:
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.