From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2012 14:05:54 +0800
Juanse pointed us to this paper:-

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/06/13/1202970109.full.pdf

I thought it to be very informative, so I will go ahead and "light the blue
touch paper". (I can already hear Randy groaning!).

Thanks Juanse.

What a fantastic paper! It certainly broadened my understanding of what
seems to be happening in the bees gut.

I know the experts will say you can't draw any conclusions based on such a
small sample size, but I will anyway.

From a practical perspective, if I understand correctly, bees exposed to
fungicides (and antibiotics) could therefore have their following functional
abilities compromised via disruptions to their gut microbiota:-

1)    Biofilm formation in the midgut inhibited, thereby reducing their
protection against gut pathogens such as nosema
2)    Disruptions to the symbiotic metabolism of plant-derived carbohydrates
which would otherwise be toxic to the bee (eg mannose and melibiose)
3)    Disruptions to the symbiotic microbiota conferred efflux mechanisms
which provide specific antimicrobial benefits to the bee, and indeed as a
result are found in                some honeys
4)    Disruptions to the symbiotic digestion of the disaccharide sucrose
into fructose and glucose, one of the most common sugars in nectar
5)     Disruptions to the rupture and digestion of the pectin-rich exine
coating of the pollen grains by the symbiotic microflora, thereby
compromising the bees ability to             access the contents for
essential nutritive conversion. (I previously assumed this happened largely
in the comb fermentation process of pollen to bee bread. But
unsurprisingly, it obviously happens internally in the beegut too.).
6)     Because pectin has been shown to be toxic to bees, its catabolic
breakdown by bacteria in the mid-gut could simply permit bees to avoid
intoxication, and inhibition         of that too could be quite detrimental
to bee fitness.

Have I missed anything?

PeterD
In Western Australia, about to start our first migration to newly
established almond orchards.