From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:40:45 -0700
> No, the queen will never come out of the hole. The
> frame of bees, with brood
> that was placed in the hive at the time of setup,
> will raise a new queen…

It is fun to employ a little tactic to bee removal
procedures. Queens do come out of the hole, and
procedures can be adjusted accordingly.  I instruct
the homeowner to let the colony remain till spring.
Nearing swarm season, I place a lure on a branch about
8 feet high in a highly visible place, preferably to
the upwind side of the nearest open
area.

I instruct the homeowner to observe colony and report
when they swarm.  Generally, the swarm will land near
to, or at the place where the lure has been
positioned, and with the homeowner aware to watch for
such swarms, they are usually discovered promptly.

After the swarm has been retrieved, a cone is then
affixed to the entrance with accompanying bait hive to
trap out the remaining bees, as well as the new queen
on her return trip from mating or orientation flight.

If the tactic be implemented on a colony from an area
of  ‘early feral recovery’ which are of extreme
interest to me.  I achieve the benefit of gaining
the mother queen, and also a daughter queen mated in
an area known to have rebounding ferals, possibly
possessing traits of interest.

The bait hive can remain until I am sure the daughter
is mated and laying up, and the cutout done with less
bees and a great scarcity of brood to contend with.
This suits me well, as I do not care to transfer much
brood or bees when doing cutouts due to the potential
problems that exits in doing such things, only a
little brood is needed for attractant and start up.
The cutout can then proceed without the need of
finding a queen or danger of harming the queen.

Best Wishes,
Joe

“Keep plenty of cows and bees, as
the surest way of having milk and