From:
"W. Allen Dick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 00:50:33 -0400
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:39:58 +0200, Seppo Korpela <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>This solution is the so called original italian solution...
<snip>
> ...ca. 300 colonieswere treated fall 1998 in Nordic countries
> with either 2.1 or 4.2 % (original italian) oxalic acid solutions
> using the trickling method.  This experiment did not show in
> most cases differences in colony strengths in spring between
> experimental groups and the control group. Tests planned
> for this fall should show whether doses somewhat lower than
> the original italian solution ...

Here's an update:

I recently received by email a copy of results of similar work published in
la revue suisse d'apiculture for September 1999.  I gather that the
conclusions were that the original Italian solution is a bit strong for
central and northern europe in the opinion of the writers, and and can lead
to winter losses when compared to a slightly milder solution that proved
equally effective in mite kill.

The report is very nicely written with charts and is presented in a .pdf
format.  It is in French, but non-french readers could probably get
something out of the tables if they are sufficiently motivated.

The file can be retrieved from my server at
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Misc/ATT00007.pdf and is only a 45k
download.  An Acrobat reader, available free at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html is necessary to view
the file.  Usually your browser will automatically open the reader to view
a PDF file if you have it installed when you click on a PDF link.

The doc also refers to a brochure "Varroa Treatment by Oxalic Acid
Trickling, field Trials 1998/1999" which 'presents these results in an
exhaustive manner' and can be gotten at Liebefeld.

allen

-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.