From:
Griggs Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:48:48 -0500
Ever read the American Bee Journal?  "The oldest English language
beekeeping publication in the world established in 1861 by Samuel
Wagner which has been published continuously since that time except
for a brief period during the Civil War"   http://www.dadant.com/
journal/history.html

  Now the first 20 Volumes 1861-1880 of ABJ has the distinction of
becoming the next target for digitization at the  EF Phillips
Beekeeping on-line collection "The Hive & The Honeybee" maintained by
Cornell University.   http://bees.library.cornell.edu/

  Two recent gifts, one from the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers
Association (SABA) and another from the Finger Lakes Beekeepers Club
(FLBC) amounting  to a total of $400 along with a matching
contribution of $50  by Mann library  will cover digitization costs
for the first three volumes.  We only need additional contributions
of $2,550 more to get all 20 volumes (1861 through 1880) of original
American Bee Journal digitized.  This digitized beekeeping library is
now the largest digital on-line collection thanks to the foresight of
EF Phillips and the generous contributions by beekeepers!

Can you imagine having access to 30 early America beekeeping volumes
from your home computer?  And if successful you will soon be able to
read the first 20 volumes of American Bee Culture.

Perhaps you,  your Association or Sate beekeeping organization would
like to help by contributing to have a volume placed up on the WWW.
By doing the entire 20 volumes at once the estimated cost for
digitizing all 20 would be $150/volume.  The cost goes up if we
choose to do it in smaller, multiple groupings.

So,  If this sound interesting & you would like to help with this or
need more information to take to other beekeepers, either contact me
or look at  The Hive & The Honeybee site at,

http://bees.library.cornell.edu/

Mike Griggs
President Finger Lakes Beekeepers