From:
Metro Propolis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:24:42 -0800

>> In my own city, beekeeping inhabits a
>> grey area of extralegality, in which it
>> is neither prohibited, nor permitted.

>This is a mistaken impression.  One of the oldest concepts of a free society dates back to Rome:
>"Nullum crimen, nulla poena sine praevia lege poenali"
>(There is no crime nor punishment without a pre-existing penal law)

>The more modern (English Law) version goes "Everything which is not forbidden is allowed".

I appreciate the sentiment (And, the latin!), but unfortunately, the situation here is more nuanced than that, and our ability to keep bees is not necessarily guaranteed by "Sine Praevia Lege".

In practice our ability to keep bees is facilitated by ambiguity and ignorance - Protections which would be compromised by sharing the relevant details in a public forum.

If anyone wants to know more, just email me.