From:
Mark Berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2016 09:57:42 -0500
If you are seeing SHB in Ontario, my guess is that you, or others, got them the way most people got them. You bought them. Otherwise they may have flown in from neighboring apiaries. SHB do fly.

In Northern NY there are apiaries along the border with Quebec, so close that you could throw a hive tool into Quebec. I well imagine that Quebec got their SHB from those yards. So, maybe Ontario got their SHB from Quebec. Down near the Buffalo,NY area I don't know if apiaries are close enough to Ontario for SHB to fly across into Ontario. Up along the St Lawrence Seaway, SHB would have to fly a mile or more to get from apiaries close to the Seaway into Ontario. There are not very many apiaries that are within site of the Seaway and fewer that are within sight of Ontario itself.

Maybe someone could explain the SHB Lifecycle to the original poster. Or show us a link?