From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2013 21:32:52 -0300
In the partial list of his papers is this one:

Gross, H.J., Pahl, M., Si, A., Zhu, H., TAUTZ, J., Zhang, S. (2009)
Number-based visual generalisation in the honeybee. PloS ONE 4: e4263.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0004263

I will have to take a look at that one.  I recognize that I have read one
of the papers on honeybee odometry.
Also that we have discussed on the list one of his papers on heater bees.

On our CBC radio (Canada's national station) on Friday night on the show
"Ideas" was a one hour show on honeybee "intelligence" called "Dancing in
the Dark".  Podcasts are available on the internet.   I have put the link
below.  Since honeybee mental capability has always fascinated me I found
the documentary interesting even though I knew most of the facts
presented.  I found the conclusions that the interviewees drew from their
experiments thought provoking.

One of the experimenters (a student of Peter Kevan's) was working on
bumblebee learning.  She said that bumblebees could be taught to count up
to four :  they recognized one, two, three, four, many.  Apparently that is
the same in human children for some period of time.  They also were
relatively easy to train to the concepts of same and different and applying
them to various symbols.

*Dancing* In the *Dark*: The Intelligence of Bees (Encore June 12
*...*<http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Ideas/ID/2244975793/>
*...* *Dancing* In the *Dark*: The Intelligence of Bees *...* human faces,
and communicate
through *dance* routines performed entirely in the *dark*. *...*
www.cbc.ca/.../Radio/Ideas/ID/2244975793/                                 -
40k - 2013-02-11

Stan