From:
Ernie Huber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 13:09:49 -0400
>I'm more interested in whether others are seeing a resurgence in
>ferals in areas formerly heavily populated by feral colonies (areas with
>Africanized bees excepted).

In Massachusetts we used to have ferals before varroa came. After varroa Roger Morse told me "there are no more feral colonies in New England anymore". Then two years ago we had a report of a huge bee tree that had been cut down very deep in the woods in our Town of Carlisle, MA and so I and some others decided this had to be the feral colony that would solve all our problems - if we could only get the queen and propagate a new line of "survivors".  Well, after a lot of trouble another guy in our County bee club rerieved most of the colony (using a chain saw) and even found the queen. Guess what ? She turned out to be a marked queen !
I'm not excited by "feral " reports anymore.
                                                                        Ernie Huber