From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:49:15 -0600
Rick wrote:
I have been invited to talk on a major radio program about beekeeping. What
do you believe are the major issues facing beekeepers today?

I have done many beekeeping  radio programs myself. Most on KCXL Liberty,
Mo. Excellent way to reach the masses.

As the number of U.S. bee keepers continues to decline our clout with those
in control declines. We always hear of huge efforts to save a little known
species of bird in danger no matter  the costs to the human population
(land, jobs etc.). Why not the same concern for the honeybee?

The honey bee is far more important to us through pollination than birds.
Saving species of birds is important but saving the honeybee is critical to
our food production.

We need to make the general public aware of the current plight of the
honeybee.  We need to make the general pubic aware of the importance to
agriculture of the honey bee through pollination.

The honeybee is still in dire straits. The feral population is not back yet.
Yet our politicians would shut down the bee lab (Baton Rouge) which has been
working for seven years to come up with a honey bee which can survive varroa
and could be used to establish the feral colonies.

Your talk need not be all *gloom and doom* Rick but be sure to cover the
different types of mites and  the small hive beetle.

 Point out half the commercial colonies died when the tracheal mite was
first introduced. Then another 50 plus percent were lost when varroa was
introduced. The USDA has said around 90 plus percent of feral colonies were
lost between both mites and the feral colonies have not bounced back yet
(nor are they going to until we get a bee which can tolerate varroa
untreated for over two years).

Two years seems to be the survival max for a untreated feral colony these
days.

Good luck with the talk!   Hope my comments help!

Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri