From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:27:39 -0400
> It would be a GREAT stretch indeed, to think that theories or conclusions based on research
performed with caterpillars are in any way transferable to honeybees.  Honeybees, being social insects
have mechanisms to deal with virus that I would suppose caterpillars do not have.

Hmm. Being winged insects with the same stages of metamorphosis, I would say they are quite similar.
And what possible defense, other than eating and defecating the invisible microscopic particles, do honey
bees have "against" viruses?

I mean, we humans have better medical defenses than any other species, and we routinely fall prey to
viruses. Viruses, being scraps of genetic material, are capable of evading almost all the defenses that
organisms employ to control micro-organisms.

It is precisely because they are so similar to other internal cell components that they are able to pass
into the inner sanctum of organisms and into the DNA strands, thereby becoming an integral part of the
host DNA! And there ain't nothing we can do about it!

pb