From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:00:13 EST
Elroy Rogers queried about " ... the viability of larvae being grafted.
How long can the larvae be out in the open without bees caring for
them?"

One of the few cast in stone beekeeping rules of thumb is, "When it
doubt, throw them out!".  Steve Tabor has written that humidity
(desiccation - drying out) is more of a concern that chilling.  Some
producers have special grafting rooms which are heated and in which they
will sprinkle water on the floor to raise humidity.

> My plan is to place a hot water bottle under the jenter box warmed to
> 90 degrees and try to keep the humidity up in the area used.
Perhaps a good plan.  Be sure the water isn't too hot - I've par-boiled
a few.

> ... I plan on grafting some of the extra larvae not in the cell
> plugs. This is where the problem of drying out or getting chilled
> larvae could arise.
Definitely a concern.  Time is of the essence and it's one of those
things where beginners are at a disadvantage.

> how many times can the bees in the swarm box be used before they are
> too old to be used for starting queen cells?
I'm assuming you're referring to the bees in your cell builder colonies
and the answer here is, depends.  Depends how you set up your cell
builders, whether you refresh them and if so, how often.  Commercial
operations can set up cell builders and continually refresh them for
an entire season.  Refreshing them means shaking new young bee from
other colonies into your cell builders.  It also depends on whether you
are using finishing colonies or not.

Just checked the archives and your goal is to raise as many queens as
possible.  I recommend Laidlaw's _Contemporary_Queen_Rearing_ - latest
edition just released, available from Wicwas Press.  E-mail Larry Connor
at [log in to unmask]

Finally for the record, I have been offering a lot on queen rearing the
past few days.  I DO NOT/HAVE NOT raised my own.  I have taken Sue
Cobey's queen rearing course at Ohio State, but a two day class hardly
qualifies me as an expert.  I came away from the class with a far
greater appreciation for the art of queen rearing and came to the
conclusion that I'm better off leaving it to the pros.  I follow my own
advice and buy my queens.  I intend to start raising some of my own
this season but my expectations are to learn as I go, not to propagate
a 1000 hive apairy in a single season.

Aaron Morris - thinking it's time to go home!