From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 10:49:17 PST
---------------Original Message---------------
I am doing some toxicity experiments and I am trying to get caged workers
to take down a substance (in sugar syrup) that is a demonstrated feeding
deterrent.  Can any one direct me to a study that tests the
attractiveness of different substances to workers ?

Adony Melathopoulos
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia
CANADA

The most attractive substances to worker bees must be honey or thick sugar
syrup.  Bees are reluctant to take down food if the external temperatures
are low; eg. February in BC I would think, or if they are queenless. (Or
if given a feeding deterrent!)  If toxicity tests are involved may be this
is additional evidence that bees are not stupid!   And caged too!  Poor
bees.  Let's have some justification please.

Glyn Davies, Devon UK