From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:13:41 -0700
Those are isolated local projects, not landscape scale projects
hence they can never be capable of mitigating the pollinator
declines that are alledgedly occuring on a landscape scale.

Practical example: In May the Natural Resources Conservation
Service published this news release:  California Is New Haven
For Hedgerows: In Full Bloom Now
http://www.ca.nrcs.usda.gov/news/releases/2010/hedgerows_5-7-10.html

Excerpt:

If USDA and the Xerces Society have their way, long rows of
native wildflowers, clovers and blooming shrubs could border
agricultural fields all across California. Currently the concept
is in full bloom at USDA's Plant Materials Center (PMC) near
Lockeford, Calif., where the partners hope to demonstrate
to farmers and the public both the beauty and the practical
benefits of planting forbs such as California poppies, lupines,
baby blue eyes, clovers and other flowering plants on the
edges of fields, orchards or vineyards.

I then visited the Plant Materials Center at Lockeford, Calif.
(southeast of Sacramento, Calif.) and asked the manager if
she could tell me about specific places I could visit in the
region to view actual working hedgerows where conventional
farmers found it cost effective to take some of their land
out of production to install pollinator friendly hedgerows.
Her answer: "I don't know of any around here".

She did show me a demostration hedgerow they have installed on
site.  I asked her a few basic questions like: How do you
control weeds in the hedgerow?  Her answer: "Roundup herbicide
plus hand weeding."  I asked:  Where will growers get the
water needed to irrigate these hedgerows in a water crises
state like California?  Her answer: "that's a good question."

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.