From:
Juhani Lundén <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2018 02:11:33 -0500
> To remove Varroa-infested brood, workers probably rely on their ability to discriminate different cues and thresholds linked to brood health (Masterman et al., 2001 ).

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322655162_Reproduction_of_parasitic_mites_Varroa_destructor_in_original_and_new_honeybee_hosts

" Our results support the idea of a causal link between infested
brood degeneration and the initiation of social immunity based
on the detection of abnormal development signals. A similar mechanism
seems to occur in A. mellifera populations that possess the ability
to remove V. destructor infested brood cells (a trait named Varroa sensitive
hygiene; Mondet et al., 2016; Nazzi & Le Conte, 2016; Schöning
et al., 2012). Whether the same factors and signals contribute to abnormal
brood recognition in the two honeybee species remains to be
investigated."

"As a result of parasite departure or removal from its
reproduction site, remaining brood developed normally and was not
removed by adult workers. This finding again supports the idea that it
is damage to the host rather than detection of the parasite itself that
triggers hygienic behavior (Nazzi & Le Conte, 2016; Schöning et al.,
2012)." "