From:
Mark Burlingame <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2013 15:18:30 -0400
Paul wrote:
Here are the last results. This is going to be long winded so I apologize in advance.

Pretreat  On removal day 8-9   Day 16-17  Day 28-32
23          no test                       22             21
32          9                                9               7      Queen loss post treat, no brood, colony dwindling 5-6 frames
10          20                              14             10
12          4                                19             8
6            4                                5               9
19         16                               14             21     New Pads
-------
Paul,
  What if the MAQS ARE being effective.  Perhaps your local mite pool is very high this year?  Maybe your bees are bringing in a lot of mites.  I find it strange that the numbers look so static for the most part.  It might be interesting to do a study where one moves some of the hives to a remote location prior to treatment then treat both groups and compare post MAQS mite levels between the hives in the original location and the ones that were moved.  I have no idea what is going on, but I don't think we should assume aprior that the MAQS aren't doing the intended job.  On the other hand, clearly beekeeping has not been made "easy again" with the advent of a good formic acid delivery system...

On a side note, my hive that had no brood, larvae, or eggs after a one strip treatment is queenright, I just check and there is plenty of capped worker brood on the frame I found eggs on 2 weeks ago.  I have not confirmed my original marked queen is still there, I will next week, but clearly the queen stopped laying before I put on the strip, because I found the "empty frames" 2 weeks after the strip application.  If she is still the same queen she is a Russian carniolan from Honeybee Genetics in Vacaville.  Mark