From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2017 12:19:51 -0500
On 22-Nov-17, at 10:39 AM, Justin Kay wrote:

> This is all based on my own research to determine if its worthwhile to
> pursue, not based on actual first hand knowledge of getting
> certified. If
> someone has more information, I'd love to hear it.

Hi Justin & All

I know of two Ontario beekeepers who were legally certified organic.
One kept their bees several hundred km from me, the other 15 km from
me.  I was aware of various hoops they had to jump through including
their need to prove that no non-organic chemical use nor enterprises
existed within a 3km radius of their bees.  This included non-organic
beehives.  The beek closest to me suffered many AFB breakouts in the
first year.  I am not aware if either were able to maintain their
certification over the last decade.

The term 'Raw Honey' was promised to be described by both Federal and
Provincial authorities some years ago,  but nothing yet.  Our previous
Provincial Apiarist cut to the quick by stating that honey could be
called raw if it was exposed to minimal heating and filtering,
whatever that meant.  I figured that no heating or filtering meets
that requirement, so I label my honey 'Raw'.  My late season honey is
often crystallized when sold but most of my customers don't seem to
mind.  All of my honey is sold from my farm gate honour table(700-1300
kg per season)

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada