Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:29:18 -0700
Wanted everyone to know I received my first swarm call for the current year.   It was from the city hall of a small town in Alabama.  Seems the swarm wanted to take up residence in the city's water night deposit box.   When I got there, one of the workers told me that just about every other year or so a swarm would move in to the night deposit box.  This time the call was made prior to the swarm's arrival.  However, there were from fifty to one hundred scout bees flying in and out of the mail slot.  It looked very busy.  I opened the box from the inside and determined that the swarm had not taken up residence as of yet.  The bees must have been flying back and forth to the swarm preparatory to the swarm's moving in.  I taped up the mail slot with masking tape and placed an empty hive with frames and foundation just underneath the deposit box.  I had also placed a cotton swab doused with lemon grass oil on the inside.  All of this was done
 just before 5:00 PM.  I will go back tomorrow morning and see if the bees could be convinced to move into my hive.  I'm sure that if left alone, the swarm would have moved into the deposit box before sunset, there was that much activity around it.   Here's hoping.  I'll let ya'll know what happened in the next day or two.

Mike in LA