From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:41:15 -0600
> One of our regulars wrote this back in 1999:
> "Destroying older combs that are still in good shape is another of those
> things small-time beekeepers do to make sure that they stay small-time."
>
> Yet comb renewal has become a popular call - does anyone have concrete
> evidence of a benefit from comb renewal, beyond the possibility of relief
> from Foulbrood, Nosema and perhaps Chalkbrood?

I wouldn't want to argue with that guy, but one thing has changed greatly in
the meantime, and that is the known chemical load in beehives, much of it
applied by the beekeeper with or without the blessings of the extension
people and regulators.

Many beekeepers are putting some pretty toxic things into their hives, and
there is always the danger of chemicals from the environment, too, and so
comb contamination is a prime suspect whenever anything is out of whack.

The legal treatments are -- with the exception IMO of organic acids and some
and by no means all essential oils -- bad enough, but many have tried using
other formulations as well.

Since most won't admit it, for fear of regulatory action, the assumption
made, unless proven otherwise is that all hives contain toxic combs.  Thus
the advice to change combs.

Absent chemical contamination, there are plenty of proven ways to
decontaminate combs that are suspected of carrying all but the most
persistent bee diseases, using acid fumigation or even simple airing out,
and radiation will deal with even that.

Good drawn combs are an essential asset to a beekeeper, in the North, at
least, (maybe not so much in the South) and should be conserved, except when
known or suspected  to be contaminated with substances like coumaphos.

Good diseased comb should be irradiated, aired out, or fumigated -- or,
barring AFB, given to a strong hive on a good flow early in the season.

IMO. YMMV.