Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 16:18:48 -0600
> Allen, you have mentioned before and imply here that your Global patties
> (containing sugar and spice etc )

No spice.  The list of ingredients is published, and there is no spice.
Maybe there should be, though.

> are on during a honey flow.

True.

> Feeding patties in a flow guarantees non bee derived stuff in the honey
> supers.

I guess you were not paying attention.  I do not produce honey and do not
have any supers, just brood chambers.  I am trying to produce bees.

What you raise is an interesting question, though.  It is the same question
as what happens to the sugar winter feed stored in outside combs as the
brood nest expands while supers are on.  It appears that most or all of of
it is consumed if the beekeeper does not move those combs inward and force
the bees to empty them.

As for patties, I think that if the young bees eat them, and that seems to
be the case if they are placed where they should be, very little if any
should get upstairs.  If you place them on the honey supers, who knows what
happens to them.

Inasmuch as the patties only contain things like yeast and table sugar and
toasted soy flour that you or I might also like to eat -- and some people
do -- I am not worried.  The question may keep some hair-splitters up
nights, but most of us really don't think it is an issue.

Of course, it is possible for an unthinking beekeeper to get all sorts of
things into honey, from the dirt around the hive and whatever might be in it
to drugs and repellents and smoke.  Most of us think what we are doing and
the possible consequences and produce a product which is very pure.