From:
Keith Cutting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:07:02 EST
2. Today I placed a paper towel saturated w/vegetable oil (any kind; cheaper
the better) between the two deep broodchambers. Within a week the bees will
have removed it. Especially noticeable if one runs pollen traps as I do, on
seven of my strongest colonies (only have 12 now).
3. I also do this September 1st when I repeat the treatment a week later.

John

I read your post on this last summer??maybe.  Anyway as a hobbist who
is willing to experiment, I tried the paper towel treatment.  I tend
not to pull my honey supers off until mid to late sept.  So I tried
your treatment after I pulled my supers.  Like you indicated within a
week they had all the paper outside.  So I applied the second sheet,
winterized the hive, which for me is adding the entrance reducer.
This was around mid Oct. and our nights are starting to get pretty
cold then.  During a warm spell in Feb., I did a quick check of my
hives.I found 2 that had died in the lower box (2 deep system).  They
had not removed the paper towel and it acted as a barrier.  They
starved with a upper super full of honey above them.  I might caution
people who are interested in your treatment to make sure they don't
make the same mistake I did.

The Cutting Farm                 Kearsage Beekeepers Association
PO Box 605                       NH & VT Beef Producers Association
Grantham, New Hampshire 03753