From:
B Farmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 01:42:31 -0400
> As for "susceptible bees", I submit that all EHB larvae are AFB-susceptible, without exception. I challenge anyone to show me a line of bees that can, if given a heavily AFB-infected frame, clean up the problem, and not make it worse.

It sticks in my mind that Dadant had an apiary at their wax rendering facility.  The bees became resistant to AFB.  When they tried taking the bees somewhere else, once they no longer had AFB pressure, the bees lost the resistance of AFB.

Charlie Mraz was supposed to have bred a line of AFB resistant bees back in the 30's or 40's before they started using sulfathiazole.  When he was grafting, he would prime the cups with AFB slime.  Over time, he was able to develop an AFB resistant line this way.
The last I knew, his descendants are using chemicals to treat for AFB.  It was easier to treat than to breed for AFB resistance.  I think Mike Palmer may be able to tell you a little bit more about it.