From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 2015 20:10:48 -0400
Hi Melinda
You wrote:
> Have you read the recent article from ABJ? “Beepocalypse” Not: Alarmist Honeybee Claims Collapse Under Scrutiny

I posted the link to my local club and received a lot of criticism. Folks didn't like the author's credentials. I thought the information was well researched, well assembled, and similar to what I have been saying for quite a while now. The honey bee is not endangered in the US and definitely not worldwide.

> Would you consider information that ABJ publishes to be reliable and well vetted?

There are several answers to this question. ABJ Extra is not vetted, they are just passing on news that relates to beekeeping. I doubt they would post anything too nonsensical. The ABJ itself is not a technical journal; they like to print general interest stories. Joe Graham is a real sharp editor and he has made changes to my articles, as needed. The quality of the magazine is enhanced by the quality of many of its authors.

The best beekeeping journals are not as widely read as they should be, however. Most of these carry excellent articles on a variety of topics. Unfortunately, they are expensive and sometimes too technical for us to understand fully. Also, many of the top researchers post to other journals, such as PLoS One, etc.

I would say the best sources are:

ABJ
Bee World
Journal of Apicultural Research
Apidologie
Insects Sociaux
Journal of Economic Entomology

My chief resource is Google Scholar. Unfortunately, already this year 1450 articles have been year on "Apis mellifera". Even the topic "beekeeping" has 526 this year so far. These range from "Urban Beekeeping and the Power of the Bee" to "Serum Tryptase Concentrations in Patients with Hymenoptera Venom Allergy in Beekeeping Zone".

There are people like myself and a few others that scan these articles every few days and try to pass on the stuff that seems most relevant and interesting to the Bee-L readership. My advice is: stay tuned. Bee-L is unique. We are not doing this for pay, there is no advertising on the website, spammers and trolls are not allowed (well, a few).

PLB