From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:54:08 -0500
>         Despite many claims over the years, I wonder if anyone has ever
>produced a better bee.

I am not sure if "produced" is the right word but the selection of good
stock by queen breeders has been a big help. There is no doubt that without
them the smaller bee keepers would have lost out completely with the
tracheal mite.

Without speaking to the hybrids, the selection of T-mite resistant bees was
a invaluable service for little guys like me. The other traits are of course
nice: gentile, good producers, winter well. I keep mainly Italians now, but
these are not the same quality I had 15 years ago, they are better. I would
guess the keepers of other strains would find the same results.

My experience is offset by the new problems but the bees are better.