From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:19:57 -0400
Interesting hypothesis, and may explain why a behavior that appears to
be associated with the quest for mites may be sufficiently effective in
mite control to provide effective selection pressure. Even if the mite
isn't within reach, which may often be the case, the desiccation would
be effective and confer selective advantage to that part of the population.

I haven't time to express this fully and coherently, but the right
situation is needed to provide the genetic material, diversity and
selection pressure to build and maintain such traits in the population.
  My situation may be unusually favorable, with an average of 30-50
colonies (including a few known ferals) with minimal to no chemical
treatment since 1997. I am isolated from commercial beekeeping and
row-crop agriculture, and the few beekeepers in the surrounding 20 miles
do minimal chemicals, and use the same pools of stock.  I have brought a
few new queens into the population every year, a few were feral or local
survivors but most were purchased and including most of the suppliers
who select for varroa and/or disease resistance.  They have received
open feeding and pollen substitute, and some in-hive pollen supplement
with sugar and vegetable oil.  I started with buckfast and Rossman
commercial Italians plus some ferals so the base diversity was high. I
wish I had the time, health, and money to apply my biology background to
more scientific study, but the benign neglect (some hives have not been
fully worked for 5 years) may have helped the natural part of the selection.

The experiment continues....

Carolyn in Plum Branch SC