Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:03:16 -0600
Bob wrote:
> I have got a crack which I have had trouble  fixing.
>
>  I have thought about using a two part epoxy like plumbers use but very
expensive due to the amount needed. Ideas?

Reply:
A lot depends on the width, depth, and length.  Another variable is how much
work you are willing to put into it.  Cracks that are a half inch wide or
less are pretty hard to control.  You just end up patching them over and
over.  Believe it or not, the bigger ones are easier to fix.  If it's more
than a half inch wide let us know.

Very small cracks, 1/4 inch or so, can be fixed with flexible patching
materials found in home centers, but they will almost always reappear.  Some
sort of stress made the crack occur.  As long as that stress is there, they
will come back.  Temperature changes are great for making cracks.  For small
cracks, flexible materials are better.  Melted tar, as in road work, works
great and lasts a long time. Another material that work well for small, 1/4
inch or less, is Butyl-Flex Rubber Sealant - found in caulk tubes.  It's
flexible and comes in gray. But no matter what you use, cleaning the dirt
out of the crack will make all the difference.

Hope this helps.

Mark in west Texas