From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:57:45 +0200
> Regarding the lack of a label for Canola honey on
> the store shelves, I
> am equally curious about this.
[...]
> Most of the honey we (in Manitoba)
> see on the shelf is simply labelled as Pure Honey:
> CANADA NO; 1 WHITE,
> ( only the grade) which unfortunately misleads the
> canadian consumers

I so agree. Those requirements are absolutely useless
for consumers and our labelling policy completely miss
the current market battle. Those "information" just
indicate this honey should be eatble as per Canada no1
(or noX) standards. That is the reason why so many
people think honey is a generic product, all honeys
beeing more or less equivalent, and that their quality
is dependent on their color. Thus a white Chinese
flowers honey is the same as clover honey or rape
honey or an apple blossoms honey or any white blended
Argentine honey. Bad, bad information; bad, bad
marketing.

I have
> no customers who
> complain about buying my honey which creams itself
> naturally, no
> processing whatsover, just poured in a new container
> after settling for
> a day in the storage tank.  Most can't believe how
> good it tastes and
> that's because its raw, unfiltered honey. [...] The
consumers don't
> know what they are
> missing.  Instead they are buying a product that is
> heated,blended,
> filtered, pasteurized, and this is what the consumer
> is led to believe
> pure honey should taste like.

Once again, I think you are perfectly right. Taste has
to be educated by comparisons. Once they tested local
honeys of different flowers (non heated, non
pasteurized), I have seen no consumers going back to
blended pasteurized generic honey, even if it costs
half my price. Some prefer creamy honeys, some prefer
liquid clover, some golden rod, etc. Some require
pasteurized honeys, some want non-pasteurized honeys.
Tastes are as varied as honeys...and vice versa. Thus,
I believe there can be a place on the market for local
flowers honeys but also exotic honeys in spite of
local production costs...AS FAR AS CONSUMERS CAN TRULY
KNOW WHAT IS IN THEIR HONEY JAR; as far as one let
them a chance to know when they eat canola honey, or
clover honey or dandelion honey. But right now, floral
origin labelled on jars is just "n'importe quoi".

By the way, I suggest to consult the Proposed honey
label changes for Canada
http://www.honeycouncil.ca/users/folder.asp?FolderID=876&nID=461.
Still nothing about floral origin and, worst,
consumers will no longer be allowed to know if their
honeys have been pasteurized or not. I hope consumers
associations will react to keep their right to know.

Hervé