From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:42:21 -0400
Alan Dick said:

> ....no matter how apparently similar to another bee it may be, two bees
> cannot occupy the same space or time line...

This seems "obvious", except in certain n-dimensional theories
that are far beyond the scope of a discussion about bees.  :)

> ...and have exactly the same history or experience.

While strictly true, it remains to be shown just how either of the
above would have any impact/influence on a bee's actions.

> Knowing this and remembering this is one of the things that distinguishes a
> master beekeeper from just any other beekeeper.

Disagree.  A "master beekeeper" would avoid such touchy-freely
statements that presume some sort of mystical insight into the
psyche of bees, and stick to practical statements that can be
proven true or false by experiment or experience.

Here's another way to think about bees.  A single bee is nothing
more than a wind-up toy with good sensory apparatus and an onboard
navigation system.  Put enough of them together, and the net effect
of each bee's reaction to blind stimulus-response "hard-wiring"
is impressive.

But all bees that wander into my honey house when the door is open still
unconditionally seek out the southern floor-to ceiling window, and use the
one-way bee escape, while NONE exit via the same door they entered,
even if it is left open.  Wind-up toys.  Slaves to instinct.

        jim