Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 21:35:12 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (65 lines)
I am sure that many of you will have been called upon to deal with              
swarms before. Many of you may even have dealt with larger swarms than          
this, but, for me this was a *BIG* swarm.                                       

I was busy working on an MBA assignment around mid-morning yesterday            
when the phone rang; a lady in a neighbouring village had a swarm in her        
garden and could I please come and deal with it (sound familiar?). Well,        
off I go with the usual bits and pieces in the boot of my car, confident        
that it would be all wrapped up in 10-15 minutes. How wrong I was!              

This swarm was easily 2 1/2 foot long, 18 inches wide, and 2 foot deep          
with quite a few bees flying around the branch that they had alighted           
on. It was a little too high to reach them with a step-ladder so we             
borrowed an extension-ladder from a neighbour. I had brought a 6-comb           
Langstroth swarm box to put them in but I thought a cardboard box would         
be much easier to manouvre at the top of a ladder. Anyway, up the ladder        
I went, suitably attired in veil and bee-suit, intending to give the            
branch a thump and watch the bees drop en-masse into the cardboard box          
below. Why is it that nothing ever goes as planned?                             

The first trip up the ladder I must have got about half of them into the        
box. The rest of them either swung precariously on the branch or flew           
into the air. I took my cargo back down the ladder, thumped the                 
cardboard box on the sides until the bees formed a nice big pile in the         
middle. Then I took a few frames out of the swarm box and up-ended the          
contents of the cardboard box into it. Easy.                                    

It took me four more trips up that ladder to get all but the stragglers         
into the swarm box. With the lid placed over the box at an angle to             
allow fanning-bees to encourage the remainder into the box, I retired to        
the shade for a drink (it was 33 degrees C !). I had another errand to          
run so I left a manipulation cloth over the swarm box to provide a              
little shade for the bees and promised to return a couple of hours              
later. By that time, I knew that they would all be safely tucked-up             
inside the box.                                                                 

Upon my return, there were probably a dozen or so bees still flying             
around the swarm box (which is about what I expected). I replaced the           
lid and jammed a cork into the entrance hole (N.B. my swarm box has             
adequate ventilation to prevent them from over-heating during                   
transport).                                                                     

By the time I arrived at my apiary, about an hour later, this swarm had         
already commenced work drawing out the five frames of foundation that I         
had provided (the sixth frame being drawn out and containing unsealed           
stores). I transferred them carefully into a spare hive which I had set         
up about a week previously as a bait-hive and inserted the Bayvarrol            
strips to test for varroa. Although I didn't see the queen during this          
exercise, I suspect that she is present because they were so eager to           
draw out the foundation ready for laying (it was half drawn-out by the          
time I housed them in their new home). If, when I inspect them again in         
about a week, there is no queen I intend to transfer a frame of eggs            
from another colony so that they can raise their own.                           

This was the biggest swarm that I have ever dealt with and I was amazed         
at how quickly they drew out the foundation. The lady who called me was         
grateful to be rid of them (and suprised that I wouldn't accept payment)        
but learned a lot about bees in the process. All-in-all, a good day!            

--                                                                              
Paul Walton                                                                     
[log in to unmask]                                                          
Toddington, Bedfordshire, England.                                              
Tel. +44 (0)1525 875570                                                         

ATOM RSS1 RSS2