From:
Elwin Stillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2017 11:21:45 -0500
"We need new antibiotics but nobody is working on that because there isn’t a lot of money to be made. They would rather make cholesterol lowering drugs even though scientists have shown the serum cholesterol is not directly linked to heart attacks. 90% of what is sold is worthless; gluten free products are everywhere even though most of the gluten nuts are doing it as a fad, not for real health reasons. Organic products fetch a higher price, even though they are proven — by scientists — to be no healthier than regular food."

I am one of the lurkers who likes reading and learning from the posts.  Usually I do not participate because have bees for a hobby and I am still learning.  I practiced family medicine for 37 years and was a member of the faculty at Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse.  Numerous studies show that cholesterol lowering decreased the risk of heart attack, stroke, and death.
A recent meta-analysis involving 312,175 participants showed the relative risk  per 1-mmol/L of LDL-C is 0.77 for statins.  According to the American Heart Association between 1969 and 2013 the death rates fell 68% for heart disease and 77% for stroke.

I wish the beekeeping industry had the funds to preform large studies with the variables controlled like the medical industry.

Silverman, Michael G., et al. "Association between lowering LDL-C and cardiovascular risk reduction among different therapeutic interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis." Jama 316.12 (2016): 1289-1297.