Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:37:02 EDT
 I endorse James Kilty's comments on feeding, at least as far as the UK is
concerned.  The US may not be in the same situation with different flora, a
continental  climate (as opposed to our maritime one) and bees not being a
native species.  Also I am not sure what the relative price of  sugar is in
the US compared to honey.  The Americans often seem to practice keeping very
many hives in an apiary so there may not be enough local forage to sustain
them although there may be plenty for a few hives.  No doubt the economics of
fuel costs (cheap in the US) and driving time for paid employees comes into
the equation.

Feeding seems largely a matter of practice handed down from one generation to
the next.  Bro. Adam in Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey recorded that in 1920
when he was experimenting with American practices he set up a colony for
wintering with 40 pounds of stores (sugar or honey not stated).  Lo and
behold, next season they produced a crop 40 pounds heavier than the other
hives.  When I began beekeeping I was taught by contemporaries of Bro Adam
and heavy feding was recommended.

Lucinda Sewell makes some valid points when she says that quality products
will always sell.  You do not always get quality honey from third world
countries though.  Chinese honey tastes of metal, but Argentinian (are they
third world?) is very pleasant and is deservedly sought after by packers who
want to sell the best.

I feed my bees when I have to, but not as a matter of routine.  Most of them
go into the winter without extra feed, but I don't usually take my main crop
until the bees have arranged their own winter stores to their satisfaction so
what I take is truly surplus to their needs.  If the bees cannot winter
economically then I would just as well be without them.  By feeding as a
matter of routine you may select for bees that need to be fed as a matter of
routine.

I sell a quality product at a quality price set deliberately above that asked
by local commercial producers so I cannot be accused of undercutting them.  I
have a high degree of certainty (not quite absolute) that what I am selling
is pure natural honey.  The customers like it and I could sell more than my
bees produce.

However I am not trying to make my living out of beekeeping and the
professionals are in an entirely different game to me so I would not
criticise them and can only offer sympathy when an unwanted change in their
circumstances is forced upon them.

Chris Slade