Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 07:57:28 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Many thanks for so many answers to my question. 

Many good points. I kind of expected the problems to be with comb building. So I'll go for just 9 in a box. At the moment this is a issue to me as I have to put foundations to many supers. I normally mix them with drawn combs. 

So now I think that I'll try Mikes, Carolyns and Michaels recommendation about a special spacing comb which I use from top of the frames.

I have some boxes that are permanently only for honey. I'll make some metal spacers and nail those on or just use nails as Walter kindly explaned in private email.  I' ll see those for few years. I'll make most for 9 frames, but some for 8 just to see. I did not think that propolis could become problem with these, so that was a good comment. Beekeeping is local, so I'll try to see how it is here.. 

Bob's statement that none of the big beekeepers he meets use spacers was a surprice for me. Somehow I had got an idea that most big beekeepers in USA used them. I quess when you truck the bees you always have 10 frames in a 10 frame box.

For Lloyd thanks for a generous offer of sending a sample. No need as I bought one already your 1999 when I was in Vacouver for Apimondia. Like I told no one makes them around here, and the few on lists in Central Europe cost a lot. Dee the price in USA is right, but the transport and tax most likely more than doubles it for a small lot. 

Thanks

Ari  Seppälä

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2