From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:36:17 -0400
Science, not suspicions

http://www.nfuonline.com/x41867.xml

The NFU (National Farmers' Union) has called for an independent and
comprehensive assessment of the impact of neonicotinoids after Buglife
issued a report implicating these insecticides in the decline of our
honey bees.

The report, backed by the Soil Association and the Pesticide Action
Network UK, reappraises a selection of existing evidence and
recommends a precautionary suspension on the use of all neonicotinoid
products pending a review of this group of insecticides.

However, the NFU remains fundamentally opposed to this approach which
is not based on clear and sound scientific evidence.

NFU horticulture adviser, and lead on bees, Dr Chris Hartfield said:
"Buglife's call for a suspension on the use of neonicotinoids is not
backed by any of the key beekeeping organisations in the UK. Although
the report adds a useful perspective to the debate the fact of the
matter remains there is still no clear evidence that the use of crop
protection products containing neonicotinoids is a factor causing the
worrying honey bee losses we are experiencing across the UK.

"All pesticides undergo a very rigorous approval process based on
sound science and we would expect sound scientific arguments to be
presented before the withdrawal of any product was considered."

He called for an "independent and comprehensive assessment" of the
situation, adding: "The debate around bees and pesticides can only be
resolved by sound science. To tackle bee health problems effectively
we believe we need to work on the basis of what we know, not what we
suspect."

The NFU is working closely with beekeepers and the government to
ensure action is taken to provide effective solutions to bee health
problems in the UK. All of the key bee-keeping organisations in the UK
agree that pests and disease are the principal threat facing British
honey bees.

John Howat, bee farmer and secretary of the Bee Farmers' Association
of the UK, said: "The fact is that the parasitic mite Varroa is a
major pest killing honey bee colonies, and our controls for it are
failing. Why do we need to divert our attention from this danger?

"Until there has been a thorough and unbiased review of all the
evidence, which takes account of the quality of the evidence and the
relevance of it to honey bees in the field, we are not prepared to
call for any ban."

Mr Howat also raises concerns about what alternative products would be
used if neonicotinoids were banned. As a relatively new product it is
likely they would be replaced by older chemistry that could be of
greater risk to bees.

Notes

1. In the EU, France, Germany, Italy and Slovenia placed bans on the
use of some neonicotinoids and some have now been lifted . In Germany
the ban on the neonicotinoid clothianidin has since been lifted for
its use on oilseed rape, but not on maize. In France, the
neonicotinoid imidacloprid is not approved for use on sunflowers,
maize or oilseed rape, but is approved for use on many other crops.
There has been no improvement in bee health following the restrictions
on the use of neonicotinoids in any EU countries.