From:
Paul Cronshaw DC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 07:22:06 -0700
One of the things I like about a discussion group is the sharing of information.

There was a posting on the Bee-list with regards to the BSA's decision to
discontinue the Beekeeping Merit Badge.

Here is a letter a sent to the BSA National Office and their reply. I am
sharing this letter in hopes that other beekeepers might give their input
on this matter.

Paul Cronshaw DC
Hobby Beekeeper

******************************

September 24, 1995

Mr. John Dalrymple,
Director, Advancement/NESA
P.O. Box 152079
Irving, TX  75015-2079

Re:  Beekeeping Merit Badge

Dear Mr. Dalrymple,

I have been informed through the Internet Beekeeping Discussion group that
the Beekeeping Merit Badge is no longer being offered.  This is a shame!!

As an Explorer Nature Director in a local scout camp many years ago, I
helped a number of scouts with their merit badges, including beekeeping, as
they moved up the ranks to become Eagle scouts.

Recently, I have been giving mini-beekeeping demonstrations in several
pre-K and elementary classes.  I am amazed at the interest of the students
and have received good feedback from many parents about beekeeping.

There are many beekeepers around the US, such as myself, who would be more
than happy to offer their services in helping scouts learn more about bees
and their role in helping this planet.  I am in the process of contacting
my local BSA district office to let them know that I am available to help
scouts with a beekeeping merit badge.

I understand that the Advancement Committee will be meeting in early
October. I encourage your group to discuss this matter further.  I hope
that the group decides to maintain the beekeeping merit badge for all
future scouts to earn as part of their merit badge requirements.

If you should have questions or need additional input to help you make a
decision, please do not hesitate to contact me at my office.

Sincerely,

Paul Cronshaw DC

************************

         BOY SCOUTS OF A MERICA

             National Office
       1325 West Walnut Hill Lane
P.O. Box 152079, Irving, Texas 75015-2079
              21 4-580-2000

September 25,1995

Paul Cronshaw and Family
612 Tabor Lane
Santa Barbara, CA 93108

Dear Mr. Cronshaw and Family:

Thank you for your letter regarding the Beekeeping merit badge. We have
received many calls and letters since the announcement was made that
Beekeeping would be discontinued effective September 1, 1995. As a result
of these calls and letters, we will ask the Boy Scout Advancement Committee
to reexamine their decision.

Please keep in mind that Scouts that started working on Beekeeping prior to
September 1, 1995 may continue working on the merit badge; and have until
their 1 8th birthday to complete the badge. (National Supply may run out of
merit badges, but the Scout would receive credit as having earned
Beekeeping.)

Your letter is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

John P. Dalrymple Director, Advancement/NESA .

JPD/rg

cc: Alan R. Hutchison, SE, Los Padres Council, No. 53
     Rees Falkner
     Program, S207