From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:24:21 -0500
Hi Bob and Everyone,

Bob asks about research work being done on systemic varroa treatments.
Yes Bob work is continuing on a systemic that works for varroa control.
I don't know if it works for tracheal mites but it does work for varroa.
 Proper dosing is being worked out so it is still in development but
does look promising.  It is currently being formulated as a candy and
the problem is that very large colonies consume the candy too fast so
the medication does not stay in the bees blood at a high enough level
for the full time needed for good control.  With smaller colonies which
consume the candy more slowly it works well.

So yes a systemic is being worked on.  It looks pretty good but dosing
issues are not completely worked out so research is ongoing.  Right now
this appears to me to be the treatment that is closest to being ready
for beekeepers to use.

FWIW

blane

Blane White