From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 06:30:43 -0400
Wow, hard to make a determination with that info, but could it be an immature Boxelder Bug:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boisea_trivittata

The immature stages have more red than the adults.

This website has a large database and a very basic search engine:

http://www.insectidentification.org/

If it's not a pest for the bees (and the only 'bug' I can think of that would be a problem would be a small hive beetle, which does not sound like the case here), I'd not worry about it much.  There are all manner of insects living under my telescoping lids, and in the vent boxes.  The inner cover vent holes are open for bee overflow, so the bees tend to keep things from getting out of hand.  If i tried to hunt down and kill every earwig I found hiding in the nooks and crannies on top of the inner covers in damp weather, I'd never get to the bees.

Bill
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”
-72.3835   -72° 23’ 01”