From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:37:06 -0400
> Walter Weller said, "One hive which had been crawling with bees all over =
> the
> outside of it three days ago, had not a single living bee in it this
> morning -- not even a raider, nor even a wax moth.  The screened
> bottom-board was covered with dead bees.  There had not yet been time for
> wax-worms to get started.  There was not a drop of honey in the hive.  I
> suppose they were raided out -- I can think of no other explanation for t=
> his
> sudden and total collapse, but a strong colony like that ??"

Starvation? Probably coupled with absconding. We have had beekeepers
lose hives from starvation in the summer when going through a drought.
They could not believe the hive could use up all that honey, but it did.
Several years beekeepers have had to feed sugar syrup in August- early
September, the normal time in Maine for both a low point in nectar and
rain.

I am fortunate to be near a water body, but still notice a decrease in
the weight of my hives during the normal time for reduced rainfall in
August/Sept. We usually come out of it about now, and are doing so. But
this year, I have had to water my garden much more often than usual.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME