From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 11:16:21 -0600
> There are no blooms in those fields after planting here.
> Here being the middle if IL  with corn and beans as far as the eye can
see.

Precisely the point!  Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink.  The
bees are starving in the monoculture.

Aaron Morris - thinking corn and soybeans
everywhere and not a grain to eat!

Agreed...  As a beekeeper ,not landowner  we (I) work on the margins.  I
look at wide roadways,  timber patches, and pastures.  I would never claim
that less monoculture wouldn't help.   But with a decent eye,  its not hard
to find locations.  The trick here is no more than 8 hives per square mile
unless something exceptional.
But  its not my land.  I as a beekeeper am a guest.  Usually a very welcome
one.  To keep it that way we have to be much smarter, and respectful to
those who do own the land.
It seems all to common today to blame the farmers. Without them I would have
nothing.  Typical area here is much like elsewhere,  is grass.  Acres and
acres of grass..  maybe natural,  but it's a bee desert also.

Avoiding planting dust is easy. Just plan,  let the farmers know it's a
problem for you,  be prepared to take action.  And remember,  you're a
guest, or a neighbor.  Act accordingly.  Or buy 1000 acres of your own,  and
pay those taxes.....trust me,  not enough honey to cover that expense.  I
own quite a bit,  and its not a moneymaker.

Keep in mind also,  that even though it's a monoculture,  the early spring
weeds are a huge crop in most areas.  A crop that would not exist without
the farming.  Yellow rocket kept my bees alive last year....  had a great
bloom.