From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:55:07 -0700
Hi all

Bill Truesdell wrote:
Just curious but are the wings longer or the bodies
shorter? I note differences in body length all the time in
my hives.

Reply:
Both if one actually looks close, but I do this in
selection for our small blacks. Not the yellowish side!

But you should note differences in body length all the time
in today's hive due to the variability of all the different
matings of the queen. But in breeding you need consistency
of mating within inndividual hives selected for grafting.

Bill Truesdell also wrote:
And is there any reason that there would not be variability
in bees, even of the same race or queen? Especially
naturally mated or the conditions in the hive when the bees
were developing. I would expect that you would see longer
wings, longer bodies, etc..

Reply:
No, it is to be expected!

But in grafting and breeding, the goal is control in mating
to get accepted what you want!

You cannot get this with short winged bees and longer
bodied bees, for they are at mating disadvantage and fly
slower.

Maybe okay for insemination, but then in insemination
today, even colour means little, yet colour is everything,
with all other body conformity being right, when one is
practicing good out-breeding for specific goals.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby