From:
DAVID ADAMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:32:40 -0500
Well Randy, I'd say your reports match what I'm hearing. I spoke with David Hackenburg a week or so ago and he named some of the northern "highrollers" that had went from numbers or several thousand hives down to the hundreds numbers.
 He didn't report that kind of problem. We haven't had high loss , so far, but haven't ever got numbers back up from the last two years to where they need to be.
 A couple of friends from the north that in my area,one of which I've had some of his bees for the fall look real good as of now. But last year we had population loss in early January from full strength hives to being 4 and 5 frames in a few weeks.
 I think anyone lowering prices ,may be a bubble or two off. I do know that my guy out there does not have many growers that will sign contracts yet,I'm sure they think prices will fall, but I think it will be the other way around.

 I'm personally weighing out sitting here in citrus country and not having to worry about border issues,thieves ,and a whole hell of alot of work to get the bees ready,and just make a nice priced honey crop.

Two questions for you Randy.  Is the El Nino bringing rain to the almond areas or at least to the north to fill canal's?
The other is about your article in ABJ. You made a statement which I've wondered on for years myself,about what does a bee need in a pollen sub,not maybe needed ,but exactly.
 With all the researchers on staff at schools all around the world,not just here,why can no one exactly figure what a bee gets out of pollen,and match the ingredients perfectly, for a soy based feed.
I mean come on Purina can tell you what all kind of animals need exactly to eat (I know ,they sell animal food.but university researchers and students don't) why hasn't bee feed been more advanced by now???

WHERE THERE ARE FRUITS AND NUTS THERE ARE BEEKEEPERS