Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:53:55 -0700
Noticed a variation in the eyes of my worker bees.  A small percentage
of my worker bees in some colonies are very light colored, almost what
you would call Cordovan, but the queen is Italian (predominately).  The
anomaly that I'm finding is that just about all the Cordovan configured
worker bees have very small eyes, constituting about 40% to 50% the size
 of the seemingly normal worker bees.  The face of the abnormal bees is
heavily covered with cilia.  The eyes are oval shaped with the long axis
 of the eyes going from side to side.  The eye proportions are about
twice as long as they are wide.  Has anyone noticed this configuration
of the eyes in their bees?  Is it indicative of a virus or other
problem?

Mike in LA