Date:
Sun, 12 May 2013 10:02:05 -0600
> Market demands are always an ebb and flow scenario, anyone in
> business knows that, but totally shutting down a market, essentially
> overnight, is a very short sighted approach to problem solving which
> can have much more serious ramifications in the longer term.

This was the case with the closure of the Canada/US border.  A great
deal of damage was done to operations on both sides of the border.

The fallout still continues.

Western Canadian beekeeping was largely established by and with the
co-operation of California beekeepers, along with migrants from Ontario
  and Quebec.

We took advantage of the comparative advantage: the south could raise
lots of bees, the north could produce lots of honey if strong colonies
could be had early enough.

Families were intermarried across the border and our industry relied on
US supplies and also US financing and technology.

Since closure we have had to learn how to get by, but the industry has
been stunted by regulatory restrictions and the increased risk.