From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 08:36:29 -0500
Pete, good post on colony population and honey production.  I did my first
hive check this weekend in North Carolina and have really good winter
survival and hive vigor.  We are having a pretty good winter - down to 2
degrees F last week and snow, but I had rather have a cold than a warm
winter for the bee's sake anyway.

Looking at my hives I know I will have to channel their energy to
productive means (for me as a beekeeper) or they will be swarming early.  I
saw one drone Saturday too, and I was shocked to see one at this latitude -
36 N - this early.  So I know I will be splitting bees and making nucs, but
my goal is honey, a sometimes elusive goal because we have an early flow in
piedmont NC that is over by the end of May.

We have discussed the fact that "something happened" around 2006 with bees
nationwide and it happened to my bees too as honey yields are down.  I also
switched from a hive body and a six and five eights super to 2 hive bodies
right around then and I know I make less honey with 2 hive bodies, and I
keep a few one and a halfs around for comparison.  Which begs the question
of energy flow in the hive and how to best direct it towards the
beekeeper's aims, rather than the hive's reproductive urge.

I have my theories and practices but am interested in other's views on
directing that energy flow.  How do you guys do it for profitable outcomes?

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC