From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2015 06:52:34 -0500
>"Trespass"  and " Bees, once free of the hive, tend to be considered as ferae naturae"
>
>Gene Brandi told me once that one of the results of the mandarin orange and beekeeper coexistence problem resolution that in California bees are >considered "wild".  I didn't do an extensive search of the CA Food and Ag code, but couldn't find where this was codified into the state code.
>
>Wayne

Started a new thread with a copy of the last post, since this has drifted from the original Subject.

Are bees considered wild or domesticated?  If wild, what is the impact, if any, on registration of a location as a farm for tax and or incentive/compensation reasons? For example, in New Hampshire honey production is explicitly in the regs under the definition of agriculture, but honeybees are not defined as domestic or wild (as far as I can tell).  If wild, what is the liability in general when keeping a wild animal for agricultural purposes?  Are bison (American buffalo) still considered wild?  What happens, if a herd gets onto private land, or a road?  Just trying to understand where we, as beekeepers, fit into it all.  Clearly, we are part of agriculture, whether commercial or hobbyist, and we want protection of our 'livestock', but are we liable for same?  What about when they are 'using' someone else's flowers for food?  When using someone else's pool for water? When spreading disease to other bees, because the keeper is not a good one?   When stinging others, because they are a nasty batch?  Tried to cover a continuum there from minimal to more serious.  Does anyone have a clear answer, either for the US or elsewhere?  Randy noted that it got sticky (pun intended?) and my guess is that it is at least 50 shades of gray.

BTW, in reading the NH regs, I found this interesting bit:

TITLE XL
AGRICULTURE, HORTICULTURE AND ANIMAL HUSBANDRY

CHAPTER 429
BEEKEEPING AND MAPLE AND HONEY PRODUCTS

Beekeeping

429:9 Spraying Trees; When Prohibited. – It shall be unlawful to use any poisonous material in the form of spray or dust upon fruit trees, shade trees, or shrubs that are in blossom; provided that such poisonous material may be used prior to the opening of the blossoms and after the petals have fallen from 90 percent of the blossoms; and provided further that the commissioner of agriculture, markets, and food may permit the use of specific materials for fruit blossom thinning sprays after consultation with the research staff of the New Hampshire agricultural experiment station. The commissioner of agriculture, markets, and food shall cause to be published annually in April in the Weekly Market Bulletin a list of approved blossom thinning materials.

Apparently, and if I read this correctly, it is illegal for anyone in NH, even homeowners, to spray fruit trees, shade trees or shrubs, when they are in bloom.

Bill
Claremont, New Hampshire, USA