From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:48:25 -0700
You're probably thinking of Walt Wright, an engineer from Elkton, TN.  I'm not sure if he pioneered the term, "checkerboarding," but he wrote extenstively upon the subject, then changed it to "nectar management."

Here's a good link to a lot of his stuff.

http://www.knology.net/~k4vb/all%20walt%20articles.htm

I'm one of his disciples.  His philosophy works for me and has radically changed my beekeeping practices and the amount of honey I produce.  Many beekeepers have discounted his theories with excuses like, "Well, I wouldn't do that as the brood might get chilled."   My response is to use a little common sense and judge how much winter is left before the weather moderates in your area.

Around Southeast Missouri, many of the beekeepers practice spring splits as the best method to reduce swarming.  I've received quite a few calls from guys who ordered costly queens, fought requeening/introduction issues, then were surprised when their split colony swarmed.  No method is perfect, and each method requires prudent management of the details.

Walt also believes in an unlimited brood nest...which is an anathema to other beekeepers.  The closest information to Walt's methods would be the work of Edward Lloyd Sechrist.

In terms of practical advice, I think Walt Wright is the next best teacher to Michael Palmer.

Grant
Jackson, MO