Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:27:09 -0400
 Also, the problem with extender patties is they were too easy to apply and
>> became preventative rather than a treatment for AFB. We certainly know
>> that antibiotic resistance occurs when they are used when they are not
>> needed and used too often, which fits extender patties directly.
>>

> Well that is a wide, sweeping claim that I cannot tackle in a few
> paragraphs.  Listing the exceptions, conditions and logical problems in it
> is beyond my current resource allocation to this recurring slander.
>  Granted
> there is some truth in there, but I really do not know where to start to
> take it apart.  It is a sort of "Have you quit beating your wife, yet" kind
> of gambit.

If there is truth there, then it is not a slander. Point was that use of
antibiotics as a preventative can result in resistance and antibiotics
should be used only as a treatment.

Also is the first time I have seen the term "slander" used on this list.

>  Plus, I think it is impossible to prove just when any resistance happens
>> since it occurs over time and you cannot point to a second in time and say
>> Eureka! That's it!
>>

> I agree with that.  I guess that weakens your argument, though.

My point is that it is an argument that is not possible to prove from either
side. You were the one who opinioned that the other side was wrong. I gave
mine.

>  Extender patties sure fits the profile for how to develop resistance.
>>

> Therefore let's have a lynching!
>
> Hey!  Has anyone who believes this baloney ever actually worked with
> extender patties?
>
> I doubt anyone who ever used them and used them properly would fall for
> such
> a line.

I have used them and used them properly.

 First time I have seen "lynching" used on this list. Can Nazi be far
behind?

We have been down this road before with Apistan. You could convincingly
argue that it was not Apistan when used in accordance with directions that
caused resistance but its misuse.  Same here. Does not really matter.

We used OTC for 40 years or so as a treatment more than a preventative but
extender patties were used more as a preventative than a treatment. That
seems to be a recipe for the development of resistance. It certainly is with
all other uses of antibiotics as a preventative rather than a treatment.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine home of the lynched Nazi slandering salamanders (good name for a
rock group)