From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:40:18 -0400
>Q1:  Do formic pads work for treating against TM?

I was cleaning up the day before yesterday and found a bucket with blue shop towels and menthol in Crisco.  We used to use them and they worked.

Then we went to formic in meat pads like you use.  Three rounds with one pad should do it for tracheal, but Medhat, a real expert in these matters is on the list and maybe he will comment.

I'm impressed that two pads used once on a double brood hive in fall can knock the varroa to 1/3rd in days.  I imagine it has a similar effect on tracheal.

Personally, I have not been worrying about tracheal since I have been getting stock with Russian and  carniolan genes and selected for tracheal resistance -- I think.  I also thought it was selected to resist AFB, but saw some last year, so maybe I need to be vigilant.  I did have one hive that sure looked to me to have tracheal and it got dysentery.  It looked as if it would make it, but it was one of the few which did not.

Anyhow, good genes (honest and scrupulous queen suppliers) and formic are my choices for tracheal.