Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 16:59:25 GMT
> The flaw, perhaps can be found in human behavior.  Breeders, as well as
> the scientific community seem to be promoting the hygienic trait as the
> only trait that exists for control of varroa.

sorry, i didn't mean to imply that hygienic behavior in itself is flawed...it's the artificial selection of only the most hygienic as a indicator of survivability or even mite tolerance/resistance that is flawed.  there is obviously some ideal balance between 100% hygienic and 0% hygienic, which we can't arrive at if we only breed from those with the most hygienic behavior.

>...they list the known traits involved in varroa tolerance/resistance.  Then they tag them with the known heritability of the trait. Then they target the traits which can be observed and selected, and also be passed on with some reliability.

>The above is the simplified version of the process and thinking behind the effort.

yes, i understand that this is the thinking...but of course, if we were to select for great mathematical minds in humans we might look at how their early development proceded, and what kind of employment they were willing/able to obtain.  someone who didn't talk until age 4 and ended up with a civil service job in the patent office wouldn't be given the chance at greatness....of course this describes albert einstein in his early life.  similar things can be pointed out about the first performances by genius musicians like charlie parker and john coltrane.

deknow