From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:19:06 -0400
Hi Steve Waldemar and all

I visited yesterday with Steve Rice, of this list, in Cheltenham
Ontario where some of his bees are kept .  We walked to the edge of
the farm where the owner had planted several hundred black locust a
few decades ago.  The trees were large and lovely looking but were
the first that I have seen after living in the area over 40 years.  I
have always checked out flowering plants to identify them and
determine whether bees forage on them.  Next spring I will watch more
closely as these trees would appear to be spectacular when in bloom.
A friend, who reads this list, informed me that they have black
locust on their country property near Mansfield Ontario 50km north of
me.  The area in which I live is rugged with steep hills and
limestone cliffs and therefore mainly native species of trees and
other plants.  The other two properties I mentioned are farmland with
beekeepers in the area for a long time.  Possibly we beekeepers are
responsible for the hit and miss distribution of this and other honey
plants.  Thanks all for opening my eyes.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W(apparently in the centre of black locust country)